Thursday 6 November 2008

Quinoa and Cilantro Soup

When I moved into the apartment, there were shelves full of the random ingredients that Omar’s former (gringo) roommates had left behind—packets of instant miso soup, sheets of nori, a bag of Whole Foods millet, and wonderfully enough, a large bag of quinoa. So given that I’ve developed a nasty cold, I put the quinoa to work tonight in a quinoa and cilantro soup. The very basic recipe follows and I’m sure it’s quite adaptable to whatever you have on hand. The main flavor elements being cilantro, lime juice and the nutty-flavored quinoa. Thanks to my mom for offering the inspiration for this soup. She also suggested a lot of different serving suggestions for leftovers, including poaching an egg in the soup for a slightly heartier meal. Enjoy!
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1 medium carrot, diced
• 3/4 cup diced squash (I used a Guatemalan winter squash that has a very soft flesh. Butternut or another smooth-fleshed winter squash would work great, but zucchini would do as well)
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 2/3 cup quinoa
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1 bunch of cilantro (tough stems removed and leaves roughly chopped)

No comments: