Friday 6 March 2009

Cooking Class Part Two

Today was another adventure at Intecap making something resembling paella minus the meat (a good thing for me!). The surprising and somewhat good thing was that three of our group members didn't show up, so it was just me and Eloisa. I should mention that none of them called to advise that they weren't coming. Luckily we were responsible for buying the ingredients this week, so we had the food with us. The other three were supposed to bring the pots and pans, but luckily Eloisa is allowed to store pots and pans in the kitchen because she is also taking the International Cooking course. A very friendly group of other students lent us their second paella pan and we were on our way! Well, until we realized there was no water... We waited, and luckily around 5:30 the water had returned and we got cooking.

This class was actually quite fun--much more what I had originally imagined--me and Eloisa chatting and cooking and ending up with something fairly tasty. I was even reconsidering my earlier decision that this week would be my last. But then we were told the ingredients to bring for the next week's recipe and I promptly reconsidered my decision to reconsider my decision to quit the class. I'm not sure what the name of the dish is, but it's supposedly from France. It has the following ingredients. Read them and you tell me if you'd be interested in eating this dish....

Shrimp
Bacon
Cheddar cheese (1/2 lb!)
Soy sauce
Orange juice

I'm not really sure what Japanese-Vermont raise person landed in France and decided to make this dish, but I think I'd rather keep guessing than try it for myself.

Pues, adios Intecap, it's been weird.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sim, Please promise me that you won't eat the dish that results from those ingredients. Gross! Maybe you should start a competitor cooking school--I think you would blow those guys out of the water.

Simca Horwitz said...

Thanks for the confirmation, Jess. Always good to hear I'm not the only one who thinks these recipes are weird. And it definitely makes me miss cooking with you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds appropriately French to me. Ah, hos my taste buds so long for that salty, acidic Normandic shrimp-bacon paella, uhmm...